TORCHLIGHT FRONTIERS Is No More, With TORCHLIGHT III Taking Its Place; Coming to PC in Summer 2020
Mechanic: Bartosz Sobczak
Category: Hack and Slash Games
Say goodbye to Torchlight Frontiers, say hello to Torchlight III — as the team at Echtra Games has confirmed that the true successor to the first two Torchlight games is real — and it will be built on the solid foundations of Frontiers.
A major shift in the game's design doesn't end with a simple name change, as the plans of Echtra Games are much more ambitious. For starters, the next Torchlight is no longer a free-to-play game, as Torchlight III will be released as a premium title. "For one box-price, you will own the game and be able to play the way that you want, online or off," the studio said.
"Over the past year, we have gathered massive amounts of feedback from our Alpha testers. After reviewing this feedback, discussing with our internal teams, and receiving guidance from our publisher, we determined that this was the best course for the game," Echtra Games continued.
Torchlight III will be available on Steam at some point this summer — and "everyone who had played our previous Alphas on Arc can expect to receive a Steam key in their email granting them access to further pre-release testing on Steam."
Given that this new Torchlight game is a full-blown threequel now, it's not surprising that some features that debuted in Torchlight Frontiers will be scrapped or re-done. To learn more about the series' future, check out the overview of all the upcoming changes — as well as a new announcement trailer — down below:
- The game now follows the classic Act structure from previous titles. Players start at the Imperial Outpost besieged by goblin hordes. They then follow the trail of nether corruption into lands overtaken by Hyvid and finally reach the [redacted] Peaks and their cavernous underplaces ruled by the electrifying [redacted].
- Horizontal progression has been removed, so all Frontier-specific levels, gear stats, and scaling has been removed as well. We are returning our progression systems to better work in tandem with this.
- Most zones are now private by default to give a better play experience. Players can still meet each other in public town levels and form parties to play together in instanced combat zones.
- When creating your character, you can now select Online or Offline Mode. Characters made in Offline Mode do not require an internet connection to play, but will also not be able to participate in multiplayer games.
- We have removed the in-game real-money store.
It’s been centuries since the events of Torchlight II, and the Ember Empire is in decline. In Torchlight III, Novastraia is again under threat of invasion and it’s up to you to defend against the Netherim and its allies. Gather your wits and brave the frontier to find fame, glory, and a new adventure!
Torchlight III is coming to PC (via Steam) this summer.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Bartosz Sobczak - Owner, Editor-in-Chief
Lawyer by day, video game reporter by night. Long-time fan of the Mass Effect, Age of Empires, Prince of Persia, BioShock — especially the second one — and Splinter Cell series (who still believes that the best is yet to come). Tries his hardest to shine a new light on the Polish game-development scene. Gameplay Mechanix is his biggest passion project to date. Often listens to old episodes of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson while writing. Privately a cat person.
Comments for this thread or now closed...